Domain Names & Internet Law
Smart & Biggar/Fetherstonhaugh is at the forefront of protecting intellectual property rights on the Internet. The members of our Domain Names & Internet Law group have broad experience and expertise in all issues relating to trademark and copyright use on the Internet, registration and recovery of domain names, and removal of infringing content from the Internet. Our representation of various industries ranges from luxury goods to high-tech, from the food industry to the financial sector.
We have substantial experience with the purchase, sale and recovery of domain names, including through negotiation, arbitration and litigation. We regularly assist clients in removing infringing content from private, commercial and social media websites. We have assisted clients in resolving fraudulent impersonation online and regularly work with internet service providers and law enforcement to achieve results.
Given the fast-paced nature of the Internet, our group provides rapid and efficient solutions to protect your intellectual property rights online.
Our Internet law services include:
- removing infringing content from the Internet, including from social media, commercial and private websites
- recovering and taking down domain names through domain name arbitration proceedings (URDP, URS and CDRP)
- negotiating the purchase and sale of domain names
- litigating, including copyright and trademark infringement, forced disclosure of customer information from Internet service providers, cybersquatting and counterfeiting
- conducting due diligence on domain name and website ownership
- strategic counselling for online brand protection
- registering domain names, including in new gTLDs
- recording trademarks in the Trademark Clearinghouse for new gTLDs