The collaboration of Smart & Biggar/Fetherstonhaugh laid the foundation for delivering unparalleled IP service and solutions over a century ago.
In 1890, Frederick B. Fetherstonhaugh opened his patent firm in Toronto. His vision and energy propelled the growth of the firm during the first decades of the 20th century. In 1906, Russel S. Smart launched his Ottawa practice and joined with Fetherstonhaugh to form the common root of our two firms. In 1926, Oliver M. Biggar joined to form Smart & Biggar.
The firms of Smart & Biggar and Fetherstonhaugh have remained in close union, and our clients have benefited from the integration of legal and agency services within a single, full-service intellectual property organization ever since.