Elliott Simcoe has over two decades of wide-ranging experience in intellectual property law. His practice is primarily focussed on preparing and prosecuting patent applications in Canada and managing the filing and prosecuting of patent applications worldwide in the fields of electrical and computer engineering. He is also regularly involved with matters relating to patent litigation, Canadian trademark drafting and prosecution, and copyrights. He has significant expertise in domain name matters, including acquisition and licensing.
The majority of Elliott's work is conducted for clients based in Canada and the United States operating in the fields of electrical and computer engineering. He also provides frequent assistance to associate firms in the United States with procuring intellectual property protection in Canada.
Elliott is an editor of IP Update — Canada, the firm's intellectual property law bulletin.
Rankings and recognition
- Included in the 11th edition (2017) of The Best Lawyers in Canada, recognized in Intellectual Property Law
- Selected to appear in 2016 edition of The Canadian Legal LEXPERT® Directory under Intellectual Property
- Recognized annually in The Best Lawyers in Canada under Intellectual Property Law since 2015
- Recognized annually as an 'IP Star' since the inaugural edition in 2014 of Managing Intellectual Property’s IP Stars Handbook: Patents
- Recognized annually as an 'IP Star' since the inaugural edition in 2014 of Managing Intellectual Property’s IP Stars Handbook: Trademark & Copyright
- Recognized in the 2015 edition of Who's Who Legal: Patents
- Recognized annually in The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory under Intellectual Property since 2012
- Fellow, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Member, International Trademark Association; member of the Online Reference Committee
- Member, Canadian Intellectual Property Office Committee of Intellectual Property Experts (Trademarks and Domain Names)
- "Protecting Your Software Inventions in a SaaS World", Tech Tuesday, Wesley Clover, November 2015
- "Video Games and Protecting Your Valuable Intellectual Property – Why it's not Just a Game", at the International Game Conference, Ottawa, May 2015
- "Dot com and other dots: choosing top level domains for domain name registration strategies" (moderator), panel discussion at the International Trademark Association's Annual General Meeting, Berlin, Germany, May 2008
- "Regulators and Policy Considerations, Challenges and Realities of Business Method Patents," Patentability of Business Methods Invitational Forum, Alton, ON, April 2008
- "Controlling Your IP in a Borderless Electronic World" (moderator), panel discussion at the Canadian Corporate Counsel Association’s National Spring Meeting, Ottawa, April 2006
- "Parliament of Canada introduces Bill C-43: Incorporating the Patent Law Treaty and the Hague Agreement Concerning the International Registration of Industrial Designs into Canadian law" (co-author: Christine Genge), IP Update — Canada, October 28, 2014; Lexology, October 28, 2014; Mondaq, October 29, 2014; CCCA Members Knowledge Centre, October 2014; World Trademark Review Daily, November 4, 2014; International Law Office Intellectual Property Newsletter, December 1, 2014
- "The Patent Prosecution Highway continues to be a phenomenal success in Canada," IP Update — Canada, October 21, 2014; Mondaq, October 21, 2014; Lexology, October 21, 2014; CCCA Members Knowledge Centre, October 2014
- "Round in circles: The regulation of copyright and new media in Canada," Copyright World, March 2006