Andrew Mandlsohn’s practice focusses on pharmaceutical matters, particularly those relating to pharmaceutical regulation and litigation (including patent infringement actions, applications under the Patented Medicines (Notice of Compliance) Regulations, and section 8 actions). Andrew’s practice also includes handling requests made by third parties to Health Canada under the Access to Information Act.
Prior to joining the firm, Andrew worked in a Department of Public Health (Division of Food and Drug), hospital and community pharmacies, a leading American biopharmaceutical company (Division of Regulatory Strategy and Intelligence), and a national law firm where he practiced pharmaceutical litigation (patents and product liability). Through these experiences, and as a licensed pharmacist entitled to practice in multiple jurisdictions, Andrew has acquired significant knowledge not only of the laws relevant to the pharmaceutical industry and retail drug stores but also in the professional practice of pharmacy including pharmacotherapy, drug interchangeability and reimbursement. This combination of skills allows him to assist clients directly and efficiently with matters that would otherwise require the attention of multiple professionals.
During his undergraduate studies, Andrew was elected to membership in The Rho Chi Society, the academic honour society in pharmacy. Upon obtaining his pharmacy degree, Andrew was awarded the Facts & Comparisons Award of Excellence in Clinical Communications for high academic achievement and outstanding communication skills.
During his legal studies, Andrew obtained a Concentration Certificate in Health and Biomedical Law and attained the highest standing in his Health Law course.
- Associate, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada; member of the Licensing Committee and Corporate Practitioners Network
- Member, The Advocates' Society
- Member, Toronto Intellectual Property Group
- "Court of Appeal permits Janssen to amend its plea, dissolves STELARA injunction and orders new trial," Rx IP Update, November 2014; Mondaq, November 11, 2014
- "Damages under Patented Medicines (Notice of Compliance) Regulations," International Law Office Intellectual Property Newsletter, July 2, 2012
- "Federal Court releases first decisions assessing damages under section 8," Rx IP Update, June 2012
- "Damages in Patent Infringement and Section 8 Cases: The View from Both Sides" (co-authors: Gunars A. Gaikis, Jordan D. Scopa and Alain J. Laplume), 10th Annual Forum on Pharma Patents, October 2011
- "Minimizing the Risk of Section 8 Damages" (co-authors: Gunars A. Gaikis, Patrick M. Roszell and Alain Laplume), 9th Annual Forum on Pharma Patents, November 2010
- "Strategies in Pharma Patent Litigation" (co-authors: Gunars A. Gaikis, Jordan D. Scopa and Jayda A. Sutton), 9th Edition: Drug Patents in Canada, May 2010
- "Analyzing the Latest Developments in the Law to Identify Emerging Trends, Opportunities and Threats" (co-authors: Gunars A. Gaikis, Urszula Wojtyra and Jordan D. Scopa), 8th Annual Forum on Pharma Patents, October 2009
- "Understanding Key Issues Impacting the Industry Today: Recent Developments in the Law of Patents" (co-authors: Gunars A. Gaikis and Jayda A. Sutton), 7th Annual Forum on Pharma Patents, October 2008